Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Bushcraft Kit for Maine Spring, Fall, and Winter


In Maine we have four seasons we call them mud season, tourist season, deer season, and snow season.  I have heard they roughly equate to the rest of America's spring, summer, fall, and winter.  My current bushcraft kit is configured for the colder months of the year.  In Maine the winters can be pretty brutal. Many nights it is zero before the windchill.  You have to get out of the wind and stay warm.  A bushcraft kit should be adequate for indefinite survival or having enough gear for a fun trip into the woods.   You can think of a bushcraft kit as extreme minimalist camping.  I am rebuilding my bushcraft kit after my previous one was stolen during home invasion.  I want to share the evolution of gear as I rebuild it with you.

This is what is currently in my pack before I adjust it for warmer months.  I will go into greater detail on each item in my kit later, explaining more about each item in later entries.

This is the backpack I keep the kit in. The kit fills all the side and top pouches. The large center portion is empty with room to hold food and clothes.  The rolled up wool blanket is part of the kit.  I believe this is a must have item in the Maine woods in the cold seasons.  This was a great bag that L.L.Bean stopped making around ten years ago.  I paid $49 for this bag and it is still kicking.



My primary cutting tool is an Enzo Tracker knife and I love it.   O1 high carbon steel with a scandi grind.  My secondary cutting tool is a Bahco Laplander saw, which is the benchmark that all other folding survival saws are measured.  It is high quality and only cost around $25.


I use the BCB Crusader Cook System and Patten 58 Water bottle.  My secondary container is the ubiquitous nalgene water bottle in blaze orange.  The BCB kit has a stove and metal canteen cup for boiling water and plastic cup for drinking out of.


I have my First Aid Kits I & II and my Cordage Kits in a used Crystal Light container sealed with electricians tape.  These containers can be used for extra water containers.  The First Aid Kits hold gauze, pads, band aids, tape, and field dressings.  The Cordage Kit is wrapped in dollar store high visibility nylon twine and inside is the dreaded jute twine, paracord, electricians tape, and duct tape with roll flattened.


I also have a Shelter Kit containing two tarps from Walmart, they were about $10 each, and are made of a blue grommeted windbreaker material.  The Fire Kit contains an assortment of lighters matches and tinder contained in my Crystal Light containers.  The kit also contains a good ferrocerium rod that costs about $10.

My Food Procurement Kit consists of three yoyo automatic fishing reels and three wire snares.  I also have some snare wire (dollar store picture hanging wire) in my Miscellaneous Supplies.  In my Miscellaneous Supplies I also have a bandana, duct tape, MRE beverage bags, Chapstick, a needle, and thread.

Around my neck I carry a my compass on a length of papacord is is a Silva compass that I have had for 22 years.  I also carry a multi-tool the Gerber Suspension.    I also have additional gear I pack from time to time, like hiking binoculars for Colleen, and a Brew Kit for me.   I would love to hear comments on what people think I am missing and should have.  This Bushcraft Kit is an evolving thing and I would love feedback.

Until next time keep your knives sharp and your powder dry.








No comments:

Post a Comment