Saturday, May 4, 2013

Whats in My Bushcraft Kit: Water Containers

As I set here making a cup of tea on my coffee table with some of my bushcraft kit (Crusader Cook System and a cotton ball) and a bottle off rubbing alcohol, because my microwave died. Three things occur to me.  One my girlfriend is probably thinking, "Great, just what he needs even less technology".  Two I am not missing the microwave.  Three that every bushcraft kit and comprehensive survival kit needs a vessel to carry water and a container to boil it to make it safe to drink. 

The container should be 32 ounces (a quart or liter), or as close to it as possible to make it compatible with chemical purification methods, which are calibrated for 32 ounces, should you not be able or allowed to have a fire.  Good choices are canteen and canteen (metal) cup style combinations, or all metal water bottles like Klean Kanteen which can be put directly in the fire.  Just make sure the metal bottle is thick walled and the weld holding the bottom on is strong or the metal bottle does not have a weld.  A good example of a canteen is a mil-surplus canteen and metal canteen cup, or the Nalgene water bottle with GSI Glacier Cup with the water bottle nests in.
Klean Kanteen

Nalgene Bottle Nesting in GSI Glacier Cup














Heavy Cover Boil Cover
I use the The BCB Crusader Cook Set  See the pictures above.  It consists of the pattern 58 water bottle with drinking cup, a metal canteen cup, and a stove.  The stove can burn wood, fuel tables, and green gel.  If I use a cotton ball as a wick I can use rubbing alcohol, drinking alcohol over 100 proof, and dry gas (alcohol).  The canteen cup can be put directly on a fire without the stove.  I bought the stainless steel metal cup (cooker) instead of the nonstick one  I thought it would hold up to high heat better.  I painted the outside with Rustoleum High Heat Paint.  I would like to get a metal lid (boil cover for the metal cup from Heavy Cover.  The one that comes with it is plastic and I am afraid it would melt.  This would keep fire debris out of you water as well as reduce boil times.  They also make a lid for the current style of U.S. canteen cup, which I would like to get for Sean whom loves military gear.

I have also used the GSI Glacier Cup and Nalgene Bottle combo and love it as an inexpensive alternative.  I think everyone should own a GSI Glacier Cup for every water bottle they own.  The GSI Glacier Cups are a $12 investment, are light, and because they nestle take up very little room.  The cup and bottle are a twenty dollar investment to get started in bushcraft,  I would love to hear what you use or like in the comments section.  Until next time keep your knives sharp and your powder dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment