Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Whats in My Bushcraft Kit: Cutting Tools.

I have mentioned before that I have an Enzo Trapper knife, and I consider this my primary cutting tool.  A primary cutting tool is the cutting tool you can least afford to be without, and for most people that is a knife.  I have mentioned that a Bahco Laplander saw was my secondary cutting tool and wanted a good hatchet as a tertiary cutting tool.  I have talked about the Laplander before in a previous blog entry and hatchets as well.  In this entry I am focusing on the Enzo Tapper and other knives I have used and like.

How the Enzo came to me
My Finished Knife
My Enzo Trapper came to me as a kit for me to assemble, for half the the price of a finished knife $89 from the Omaha Knife Store.  I received the blade, the screws, and scales.  I epoxied the handles on, and tightened the screws.  I waited 24 hours and then filed down the screws.  I then shaped and sanded the scales.  This knife after a few passes on a Japanese water stone is hair popping water stone it went from really sharp to hair popping razor sharp.  This is a wonderful knife for bushcrafting, but I carry a
Laplander saw to compliment it.  This knife was not intended to be a one tool option for me for bushcrafting.

Another knife I liked that I did not intend to be a one tool option was the Becker Necker BK11.  I loved the idea of the hollow handle survival knifes from the 80s.  I liked the storage idea of the hollow handles, but knives need a full tang for strength.  I came up with the idea of putting the survival kit on the sheath with ranger bands, this gave me a a strong knife with a tang and a survival kit.  I used a magnesium bar as a combustion device, included a needle, mono-filament line for threat/fishing line, led light, can opener, a compass, and two fish hooks. I had also included a small bag of one inch lengths of jute twine smeared with mineral oil for tinder.   This was an Every Day Carry item for me for a year and for bushfrafting I paired it with a tomahawk.  I loved this knife and the tomahawk not so much.  I should mention I beat the crap out of this knife batoning and it held up.  The handles (scales) came from Tomar's Kabars.


Squared of Spine
After Market Micarta Scales
The Becker Companion BK2 I bought to be a one tool option.  A one tool option must be able slice, chop, and baton.  This knife is a half inch thick.  Some people call it a sharpened pry bar.  This knife chopped better than the tomahawk.  This knife is my first choice as a one tool option for cutting.  I have used this knife more than any other and beaten the hell out of it.  I have batoned logs into boards for fire drill sets. I configured this knife as a survival knife like the smaller Becker BK11 Necker knife. I squared the back of the spine because it was to rounded to strike a spark on a ferrocerium rod. I included a small back up knife a Gerber dollar clip knife, and used a ferrocerium rod instead of the magnesium bar for fire starting. The handles were from Tomar's Kabars. The rest of the items were the same as what was on the BK11 knife kit I had made. I loved this knife, just like the other two I had previously mentioned.







These are all of the knife options that I have tried and really liked. I would love to try about some Moras and repost back on those. I would love to hear what you think, and what is working for you. Until next time keep your knives sharp and keep your powder dry.


No comments:

Post a Comment