Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Whats in My Bushcraft Bag: Shelter

lean-to and heat reflector
Shelter could keep you warm when your cold, cool when your hot, and protect you from the sun and other things.  I have two Walmart tarps made out of a windbreaker like material, a wool blanket, and seasonably appropriate clothing.  In the winter I set the tarps up as an lean too in front of my fire with a heat reflector behind i\t.  Underneath the tarp I place a disposable space blanket.  I will photograph this set up at a later date to show you when winter approaches again.  The picture underneath is similar to the set up I use , but the roof of the shelter is the tarp and emergency space blanket set up.  I would like to replace the tarp with a Grabber Space Blanket, a S.O.L Sport Utility Blanket, or a Cabelas Sportsman's Space Blanket.  They are grommeted tarps with mylar emergency blanket on the underside. These space blankets are some winter upgrades I would like to make to my bushcraft kit..

Cabelas Sportsman's Space Blanket
S.O.L Sport Utility Blanket




Grabber Space Blankets

In the warmer months I like to set my tarps up as an A-frame and make a hammock out of my wool blanket (military surplus army blanket) under it.  I drape a mosquito net over the A-frame set up.  A mosquito net is as important in warm weather in Maine as a wool blanket is in cold weather.  You cannot have a good nights sleep getting chewed alive, and you must also protect yourself from West Nile Virus.  The picture to the right shows a set up similar to what I use minus the mosquito net.  I am going to upgrade from a wool blanket as a hammock to a two person hammock for my girlfriend and I.   I will retain the wool blanket for use as a blanket, or a hammock for Sean, and I probably still use my Walmart Tarps instead of the space blanket ones that I want for cold weather use.

Trash Bag Tarp
Another emergency shelter idea to use in place of a tarp is a 50 or 55 gallon contractor bag/drum liner.  You cut the sides and leave the bottom intact you are left with small tarp.  Tie rocks into folded over edges of the bag/liner to use in place of the grommets to secure the bag/liner.  These are a good idea for short term shelter a day to a week, or supplementing/augmenting a shelter made from natural materials  This is a cheap option at less than a dollar,  I also have a dollar store disposable poncho, and a blue dollar store tarp.  I have been using the dollar store tarp as a ground cloth for a year and it is till intact.  Until next time keep your knives sharp and your powder dry.







1 comment: